Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Hopping Down the Bunny Trail

I get excited about Holidays.  The excitement probably comes from my mom.  When I was a kid, she would always fully decorate the house to celebrate and to this day I still get an Easter Basket and care packages for Halloween and Valentine’s Day.  I am already anticipating the Easter Basket that awaits me this weekend because it will probably mean lots of candy.  There are different things I like about different Holidays and while Halloween is by far my favorite overall holiday, Easter is my favorite Candy holiday.  Yes – I have categories and by the way, Valentine’s Day is my least favorite candy holiday.  Why would anyone want to waste all of that time eating chocolate?  At least the conversation hearts redeem the Holiday a little bit. 
I am a huge fan of Easter Candy.  I love jellybeans, Cadbury Eggs (yes they are chocolate, but filled with sweet goodness), coconut bird nests, and marshmallow goodies.  Ok, side note, why have Peeps had to cheapen themselves by expanding to other Holidays.  No one wants your stupid snowman peeps and red heart peeps just look ridiculous.  Anyway, by far the greatest Easter Candy is the Bunny Basket Marshmallow Eggs.  If you are not familiar, these are the colorful little egg shaped candies that are about an inch long and have a firm marshmallow center.  These candies are the greatest and they do not get the respect they deserve.  Anytime I talk about them with people, they always say “yuck.”  I don’t get it.  Why do so many people have such poor taste? 
I have already had my share of these candies this year, but I have also sampled almost every jell bean that I could get my hands on.  In fact, Rachel and I decided to get one or two bags of jellybeans each weekend for about the past five weeks so that we could sample them all.  Here is the list we have tried: 
-          Sweet Tart
-           Starburst Tropical
-          Sour Patch Kids
-          Brach’s Traditional
-          Jolly Rancher
-          Lemonhead and Friends
-          Brach’s Speckled Egg
-          LifeSavers
-          Hawaiian Punch
We are still on the hunt for the elusive Nerds Jellybean.  We saw them once at Gordman’s, but didn’t buy them because we were not aware at the time how rare they were.  I think that all of them were pretty good, but the Sweet Tart Jellybeans probably take the top spot.  As boring as it sounds I think the runners up were the two Brach’s variety. 
So hopfully  (ha ha, that is a pun not a misspelling) the Easter Bunny will be bringing a basket of goodies so that I can eat myself into a sugar induced coma this Sunday.  Easter comes but once a year and the really good candy (that’s right Peeps, I am calling you out) only shows up on this glorious occasion. 


1 comment:

  1. You'll have to try the Smucker's jelly beans. They are the best! And, "with a name like Smucker's. It has to be good."

    ReplyDelete