Tuesday, January 18, 2011

On a sad note

I was really hoping that the focus of my blog would be all happy, fun, and sarcastic updates. I consider myself an optimist who always tries to find the fun in bad situations and the silver lining of any dark cloud. Normally I can find at least something to joke about, but today I got a call from my mom with a situation that just seems surreal.

My cousin went missing while snowboarding in the back country at the the Berthoud Pass area in Colorado around 3:30 yesterday afternoon. Bad weather and avalanche conditions were present when he disappeared. They have had search parties looking for him during the daylight, but have had to come in at night due to darkness and weather conditions. The story has been all over the news stations the Denver area, but the information is slow and the updates are not frequent.

This is the kind of situation that you see on the discovery channel - it is certainly not one that you you expect to have happen to your family. It is an empty feeling to sit there and try and go about your daily routine while waiting for information and knowing that you are helpless to affect the situation in any way. My cousin does have avalanche training so at least he knows how to handle himself. The search will resume tomorrow morning and there is hope. Please keep the situation in your thoughts and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment